Home » Other » General » Object-relational mapping ORM - SQL only for DBA? New developers don't need SQL skills? (Oracle 11g and MySQL 5.6)
Object-relational mapping ORM - SQL only for DBA? New developers don't need SQL skills? [message #619403] Tue, 22 July 2014 04:43 Go to next message
rc3d
Hi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-relational_mapping
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_object-relational_mapping_software
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_object-relational_mapping_software

My senior uses ORM tool to generate SQL code. He thinks that I am stick-in-the-mud (old school, obsolete) to write myself SQL code. He thinks it's a waste of time. He thinks SQL is only for DBA and not for developers.

He commands me to learn an ORM framework and stop programming SQL statements. He says ORM is state of the art.

What do you think?

I have to admit that all bleeding edge applications use ORM framework. Only classic applications write Oracle RDBMs code.
Re: Object-relational mapping ORM - SQL only for DBA? New developers don't need SQL skills? [message #619428 is a reply to message #619403] Tue, 22 July 2014 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
RDBMS is to Object Oriented Programming
as bicycle is to fish.

Just because you can do something, does not imply that it is the correct thing to do.
You can also poke yourself in the eye with a sharp pencil, but it is not a wise thing to do.

In the few times where I saw OOP applied to Oracle DB, it scaled as well as my pet goat can fly.

In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

[Updated on: Tue, 22 July 2014 08:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Object-relational mapping ORM - SQL only for DBA? New developers don't need SQL skills? [message #619431 is a reply to message #619403] Tue, 22 July 2014 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lalit Kumar B
> He thinks SQL is only for DBA and not for developers.

So "He" is neither DBA nor DB Application developer. Then what is "He", apart from being your senior.
Re: Object-relational mapping ORM - SQL only for DBA? New developers don't need SQL skills? [message #619443 is a reply to message #619431] Tue, 22 July 2014 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rc3d
Lalit Kumar B wrote on Tue, 22 July 2014 07:53
> He thinks SQL is only for DBA and not for developers.

So "He" is neither DBA nor DB Application developer. Then what is "He", apart from being your senior.

He is application manager and Java developer. He holds a Master in Computer Science
Re: Object-relational mapping ORM - SQL only for DBA? New developers don't need SQL skills? [message #619444 is a reply to message #619443] Tue, 22 July 2014 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
My response would be as follows:

I won't try to tell you how to program in Java in exchange for you not telling me how to manage my database.
Re: Object-relational mapping ORM - SQL only for DBA? New developers don't need SQL skills? [message #619445 is a reply to message #619443] Tue, 22 July 2014 09:21 Go to previous message
Lalit Kumar B
rc3d wrote on Tue, 22 July 2014 19:27

He is application manager and Java developer. He holds a Master in Computer Science

Both frontend developers and backend developers work hand in hand together to develop and maintain an application. They are like the two railway tracks running in parallel, and maintain the perfect distance between them throughout, in between is the work area which is not supposed to be crossed by either of them. Else the result would be, well you know that Smile
Previous Topic: free schema creator tool
Next Topic: PL/SQL Store Application Configuration
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:28:59 CDT 2024